Thursday, December 10, 2015

Divorce - Is It Worth How It Effects Your Life?

According to science (and my family relations teacher) the stages of divorce are as follows:
-emotional
-legal
-economic
-coparental
-community
-psychic

Now I think that most of those can speak for themselves, so you can see here what a process divorce is. And I'm sure no one goes into it thinking that it really can be just a split second decision and a signing of papers and then you're free to move on with your separate lives! It is a very long and hard milestone that affects you for the rest of your life, whether or not you think it will. That's a lot of the last stage of divorce, psychic, where you may be separated from them and living different lives but especially if you have shared children you will still always have to think about them and route your life in a certain way because of them when you have to take the kids over to their house for the weekend or consider if they would want to be at that recital and such.

I mentioned this statistic at the very beginning of my blog, I think it was in the first post I ever wrote, but it's so significant that I want to emphasize it again...

--Most couples who are on their way to divorce have 10 significant areas of incompatibility.
But then... couples who are in happy marriages, get this, have 10 significant areas of incompatibility as well.--

Seems like you just can't win no matter what happens huh?
But actually, for me it's rather obvious. I think its entirely based off of your attitude and how you view things.

-It's about doing the little things. Whether you and your spouse are in a huge rough patch, if you continue to do the little things for each other, there's no way the other can say that you've given up or lost hope and vice versa. If you do that, there will still be giving and caring going on between the two of you and expressions of love in the midst of struggle.

-It's about you attitude, respect, and effort. It's so easy to just say "eh it isn't working anymore so I'm done. He's not trying so why should I bother?" Well if that's the case, when working my butt off in school to graduate college, maintain a job, and plan my own wedding at the same time didn't work well...I should've just given up right? But I didn't. Because I knew the outcome would be worth it and that things would work out.
But you also can't do this without respect for the other. It may be very easy to slip into criticism battles with each other but I think the only thing that can turn those battles around if you do not lose your respect for each other.

-70% of people believe (after their divorce) that they could have made it work and would have been better afterwards.

I think the main problem these days is that people don't exactly know what they're getting into when they get a divorce. Now I'm not trying to say that everyone should stay together and that no matter what, you can always make it work. In some cases, I think divorce is a very viable solution and may be the best thing to do to help someone have a better life.

But I also think that too many times, good couples who really loved each other, just give up too easily and can't see that there is a path out of the tension and out of the rut that they're in. Too many couples get divorced, only to regret the way it turned their lives or only to find themselves getting back together again years later. I think that a lot of heartache and a lot of split up families could have saved if they followed these principles and if they could see what the outcome would be in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment